Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Huckabee Says Two-State Solution "Unrealistic"

I guess the Israelis (well the far right Israelis anyway) have a friend in a Baptist Minister from Arkansas.

Speaking to a small group of foreign reporters in Jerusalem, Huckabee said the international community should consider establishing a Palestinian state some place else.

"The question is should the Palestinians have a place to call their own? Yes, I have no problem with that. Should it be in the middle of the Jewish homeland? That's what I think has to be honestly assessed as virtually unrealistic."

However I'm not sure where they would put this Palestinian homeland though. The West Bank seems to be a decent enough place if Israel just stated that the settlers would become Palestinian citizens unless they moved back to Israel proper. Israel could just state that the Gaza Strip is now called Hamasistan and recognize the West Bank as Palestine.

I have to disagree with Huckabee though because a two state solution reached between two peaceful nations might actually be possible if both sides gave concessions. If it is just Israel trading land for peace I agree it would be unrealistic. I mean they gave Gaza back and got Hamas rockets in return. However if the Palestinians recognized Israel and ironed out a long term peace treaty the world would ratify it.

No comments: