Tuesday, March 01, 2011

All UH Sports Moving to Oceanic Cable?

I guess the days of KFVE the Home Team are now numbered.

In Oceanic's contract with UH, 2011 is described as a "transitional term" in which the cable giant may elect to solely produce and show the state university's sports, which would end a nine-year partnership with KFVE.

Yesterday was listed as the final day of the negotiation window between Oceanic and KFVE, according to the contract. Oceanic's contract runs through 2014 and any decisions on the future of the partnership with KFVE are Oceanic's, a UH spokesman said.

I would be all for this move if it brings in more money for the UH sports program. Also this allows you to watch some of the games on demand instead of the one rebroadcast the next day. Hopefully, this will also free up more money to cover more games. 

Last weekend most people missed a thriller of a baseball game with Hawaii beating Texas in the 15th because the KFVE cameras were at the basketball game I assume. The baseball game was printed in the Star Advertiser as starting at 3PM but instead they had Everyone Hates Chris and other nonsense on. I thought the game was rained out or something at first. Turns out later the game was a great extra inning affair and I only learned that fact by watching the basketball game hours later. This seems to happen all the time on KFVE.

With Oceanic Cable running the show hopefully I will be at least able to watch that baseball game at a later time On Demand. It will even be nice to see the football game later in the week if you don't watch the Pay-Per-View and have to do something on Sunday Morning. I usually watch the NFL games on Sunday so I don't normally watch the UH football games because they are going on at the same time. Now I can watch those games on Tuesday or something. 

All-and-all it sucks for people with basic TV but I guess that is what they have Sports Bars for. I mean Big City Diner would love their patronage during UH sporting events.

No comments: