Tuesday, July 14, 2009

University of Oregon Journalism Department Wears its Partisanship on Its Sleeve

Is there any wonder why the Liberal Media perpetuates itself then this should be case in point.

The University of Oregon (UO), where I study journalism, invested millions annually in a diversity program that explicitly included "political affiliation" as a component. Yet, out of the 111 registered Oregon voters in the departments of journalism, law, political science, economics, and sociology, there were only two registered Republicans.

Now that is some real "diversity of opinion." I would be willing to bet even money that those 2 Republicans are in the economics department as well. Now this outburst might have come from a fired up Leftist student but nope it was from a professor:

He was eager to chat, and after five minutes our dialogue bloomed into a lively discussion. As we hammered away at the issue, one of his colleagues with whom he shared an office grew visibly agitated. Then, while I was in mid-sentence, she exploded.

"You think you're so [expletive] cute with your little column," she told me. "I read your piece and all you want is attention. You're just like Bill O'Reilly. You just want to get up on your [expletive] soapbox and have people look at you."

From the disgust with which she attacked me, you would have thought I had advocated Nazism. She quickly grew so emotional that she had to leave the room. But before she departed, she stood over me and screamed.

"You understand that my column was basically a prophesy," I shot back. I had suggested right-leaning ideas weren't welcome on campus and in response the faculty had tied my viewpoints to racism and addressed me with profanity-laced insults.

The problem is that this writer wasn't some Pat Buchanan clone but is actually not a Republican or right of center at all. He was merely advocating the liberal idea of diversity of opinion. He was a college kid promoting the idea of the free expression of thought. There was no call for such extreme behavior by people that are supposed to be educating him and his ilk.

I think the problem with the left is that they are just not open to any discussion or backtalk when it comes to their plans. All they want to hear is people agreeing with them even if they are wrong. If they are approached with facts they stick their fingers in their ears and storm out of the room like this hapless professor did.

It is single payer even if it costs trillions, pull out of Iraq even if we leave a civil war in our wake, or impose knee-cap-and trade even tough the Chinese and Indians will never sign on. If they got together and actually talked out some of these ideas they would understand that taxing small businesses during a recession will just backfire when the economy is tryng to recover. Oh well, I guess they will have to find out the hard way in 2010.

No comments: