Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Why Americans are So Fat

Ah, so my Mom was right when she says that it is sugary drinks that is making people in the US so damn fat.

An extra can of soda a day can pile on 15 pounds in a single year, and the "weight of evidence" strongly suggests that this sort of increased consumption is a key reason that more people have gained weight, the researchers say.

It seems that whenever I see a very, very fat person they seem to be drinking a Big Gulp type Soda or something similar. I wonder what the effect of removing all the soda machines from public school is having on how fat kids are nowadays. I guess it will be another decade or so before we can know for sure. This fact also floored me as well:

Regardless of this debate, a single 12-ounce can of soda provides the equivalent of 10 teaspoons of table sugar, the Harvard review says.

I'm glad I switched to Diet Coke instead of the regular stuff. Now it tastes too sweet for me.

No comments: