Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Presidential News Conference

I agree with some of the stuff he said but as always I disagree with others. Amnesty International should use some other source then the people we are holding there to accuse us of human rights abuses. This is Al-Quida Handbook 101 stuff. They are going to say we are torturing the crap out of them no matter how well or poorly we treat them. Perhaps Amnesty should put up monitoring equipment like the Atomic Energy guys if they are so concerned about getting the record strait.

I also agree that the Iraqis should be close to defending themselves. I guess we can start pulling our troops out of there eventually. On our timetable of course.

Whoever is talking about a military option in North Korea needs to get fired. There is no way we could take them on decently with our troops committed to Afghanistan and Iraq. I guess we could go to the draft, if we have to fight on three fronts, but it won't be pretty.

I agree with him letting Iran into the WTO and letting the Europeans jawbone them about the nukes. That way if they get nukes we can blame Europe, and wait for the Israelis to blow up the actual research facilities. This would make Europe look bad/weak/ineffectual and we can just "condemn the Israeli actions in the strongest possible terms."

I think he may need to either give up the ghost or create some bipartisan panel when it comes to Social Security Reform. At least we need to get the Dems to admit that reform is needed and see what their plan is. That way they can compromise on something decent. Whatever the case I'm not giving a crap about Social Security because I am convinced I won't see a dime of it.

Oh oh, hypocrite alert on the Stem Cell front:

"There's an alternative to the destruction of life," he said. "But the stem cell issue is really one of federal funding, that's the issue before us, and that is whether or not we use taxpayers' money to destroy life. ... I don't believe we should."

Hmm, I guess our taxpayer money is okay to use as long as it is killing full grown people. The LLLs will make some hay out of this quote. He needed to use the words unborn life or something similar. Oh well, all in all it seems like a decent speech. But why did he have to stand in the sun? They should get a little tarp or canopy thing going. It would be like an old fasion tent revival.

No comments: