Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Interesting Sony Stuff on Penny Arcade

These guys seem to be at the heartbeat of gaming today and currently bringing in reports from E3. Tycho talks about how Sony seems to be trying to put up the PS3 as a ready to go when it is in fact not ready for prime time. He says that the non gaming media seemed to eat it up, while a savvy person like him saw through what Sony was trying to do.

I read about Sony bringing out the PS3 in the business press and it seemed like Sony was ready for the PS3 to rock Microsoft's ass. If Sony was really trying to pull a fast one at E3 then you can assume X-Box 360 will have true fast-mover advantage.

Sony by their own estimation will miss the holiday season. Thus, I would bet good money that X-Box 360 will be this years Tickle Me Elmo and simply fly off the shelves. Let's hope that MSFT has their supply chain ready to hum. Extreme shortages at that point would be the worse case scenerio. Whatever the case, that buzz and early push may be shaping up to put the 360 at the top of the heap.

In the interests of full disclosure I do own shares in Microsoft so this news affects me directly. I never thought I would buy shares in the "evil-empire" but that one-time dividend they paid last year changed my mind. They do seem to be cleaning up their act though by settling their 101 lawsuits so maybe they can be upgraded to the "neutral with evil tendencies empire." Also I own a PS2 and a PS1 and don't currently own an X-box.

No comments: