Monday, May 23, 2005

Innovo Group

I have been following Innovo Group for most of May (ticker INNO.) They make high end women's jeans in their Joe's Jeans brand. I have read several articles about how High end women's jeans are just flying off the shelves. The trend is several years old but it doesn't seem to be letting up.

So far this is one of the only 2 high end jeans makers that are publically traded. The other one is on the NASDAQ pink sheets called True Religion Apparel (TRLG.) I have heard of True Religion Jeans before as well as 7 for All Mankind and I have done recon at Neiman Marcus to see what the fuss is about.

The Jeans themselves seem pretty well made and are quite soft to the touch. They don't seem to be worth $180 though. I have done some informal polling at my office and most of the women here wouldn't pay that much for a pair of Jeans no matter what. But I suspect that women in New York or LA would beg to differ. Those Sex in the City women are who I am talking about.

Whatever the case though these jeans seem to be selling fairly briskly. INNO seems to be growing very well and has sold off their Craft business to focus more on their denim business. It seems like a company that is worthy of someones watch list. I own only 100 shares but I may pick up more on pull backs. Here is theStreet.com article that turned me on to the whole high end Jeans idea.

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/funds/jondmarkman/10214568.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ouch, if you were holding INNO during the plunge. TRLG is the better investment of the two. Should have gone with the fundamentals over absolute price.