Monday, January 05, 2009

Panetta at CIA has Intelligence Community Scratching Heads

It seems that some people are as incredulous as I am when it comes to putting Panetta as the head of the CIA.

"I'm at a loss," said Robert Grenier, a former director of the CIA's counterterrorism center and 27-year veteran of the agency who now is managing director of Kroll, a security consulting company.

The lack of intelligence experience puts Panetta at "a tremendous disadvantage," Grenier told The Associated Press in an interview.

Also this defence from the Obama Administration is some really weird reasoning as well:

The official said Panetta had been a consumer of CIA intelligence when he was at the White House. He said he was selected for his administrative, management and political skills which will allow him both to control and advocate for the agency.

That is like saying since I take aspirin I can head the FDA. I mean I too have various unrelated skills that could help me succeed at the FDA. I mean I could also rely on trained scientists to do most of my job and just muddle by. I, however, won't do the same kind of job that an MD with a background in drug research would do. Of all the Obama administration confirmation hearings I predict that this one will be the toughest.

No comments: