Thursday, June 16, 2005

PC World's opinion on the new consoles

Very interesting rundown on the three new consoles going head to head later this year and next. It mentions that the Xbox360s' first mover advantage and this line about the PS3 was interesting to me:

Its 3.2-GHz Cell processor gives the system about 2 teraflops of performance--twice what Microsoft is claiming the Xbox 360 will do. "Just seeing the specs of the PS3 was amazing," says Dig-Doug. "All the subprocessors--that's just a huge deal--you're going to be able to do so much."

The more I read about the PS3 the better it sounds to me. However there are rumors of a machine that will cost as much as a regular PC. I would be very leery of paying $500 for a machine that I will use pretty much as a game console.

I use my home PC as a game console but I also surf the web, post to this blog, read e-mail etc. with it. I would be hard pressed to pay $500 just to play games. I have a feeling that some parents will agree also. Couple this with the fact that many gamers will have shelled out for the Xbox already and people may push back their purchases of it.

This guy is right on target with this statement:

"I think it's early days," says Russo. "It always comes down to the company with the best gaming software."

That will be what will make the ultimate decision for me.

No comments: