Tuesday, August 12, 2008

CVS Caremark Bought Out Longs Drugs

This should be interesting news to people living in Hawaii.

The acquisition of Longs' 521 stores will add to CVS's presence in California and will give it a leading position in Hawaii, where it doesn't operate. Longs' stores are also located in Nevada and Arizona.

CVS will pay $71.50 per share for Longs, including its Rx America subsidiary, a prescription benefits management services company with over 8 million members. Longs shares closed at $54.04 before the news on Tuesday, but surged nearly 30 percent in extended trading on the deal.

I wonder if competition between them and Walgreen's is going to lower prices for prescription drugs in Hawaii? I have been shopping at Walgreen's every few days after they opened across the street from me and I have to say that I am impressed. They stock quite a few different foods that aren't seen in Hawaii so I'm hoping CVS will follow suit.

No comments: