Friday, August 05, 2005

Red Delicious down for the count

I didn't know that this type of apple has been falling in popularity for so long. I haven't eaten one since the lunch they served at high school but I figured someone must have been eating them. The Fuji apple is the only kind that I eat currently. The Red Delicious has skin that is usually hard and has a funny taste and they are normally pretty mealy. This guy sums up my thoughts on the Red delicious:

That view is borne out at the Brookville Super Market in Chevy Chase, where manager Sidney Hersh offers Red Delicious at 20 cents a pound cheaper than Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Fuji and Gala varieties but sees the others outselling it by as much as 2 to 1.

"People want something better," he said. "I would say in the past couple of years, something
has changed."

No comments: