Tuesday, January 12, 2010

It's Almost Official; Conan Out at NBC

It seems that Conan is going to leave NBC judging by his statements.

"Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years, the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn't the Tonight Show.

"Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy."

I think NBC should just live with their mistake and let Conan go to Fox ASAP. I watched the Tonight Show last night and it was as anti-NBC as you could get. Imagine that sort of thing continuing until the Olympics. A three way race for the late night crown will be interesting to watch and I can't wait to see how it spools out.

No comments: