Friday, January 22, 2010

Uh oh, the White House Retreats into "It's the Message, Not the Policies"

I think Obama needs to understand it is not the delivery and framing of the message but the substance of the thing.

Well, with one caveat: "One thing I regret this year is that we were so busy just getting stuff done . . . that I think we lost some of that sense of speaking directly to the American people. . . . I think the assumption was, if I just focus on policy, if I just focus on the, you know, this provision, or that law, or are we making a good, rational decision here, that people will get it."

Um, it seems you have "spoken to the American people" and they just don't like what you are currently saying. He sure has spoken to them as well:

In his first year as president, Obama has broken all records for talking directly to the American people. According to CBS News, he has delivered 411 public "speeches, comments, and remarks" and 158 interviews - more than one public statement per day and roughly an interview every other day.

Just start saying different things that people agree with (and govern from the center) and independents will start to listen again. If you tell people "I purpose across the board tax cuts" and it is something more significant then $400 people will cheer. If you say "here is my job bill" and point out how much the payroll tax will be cut businesses can begin planning. It's not how you say it; it is what is said.

No comments: