Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Obama Pushes "Tax Cuts" And Reforms to Tax Code

I'm tired of Obama pushing that lame $13 per paycheck "tax cut" as something other then a symbolic gesture.

In his remarks Wednesday, Mr. Obama touted the tax measures in the $787 billion economic recovery package, which the White House said delivers a tax cut for 95% of all working families.

If he really wanted to cut taxes for 95% of Americans he should have reduced their nominal tax rates. That would have actually resulted in $100s extra per paycheck. Instead it is a lame-assed $13 that the Dems are going to snatch back in their version of the upcoming trillion dollar budget.

However, if Obama actually makes filing your taxes easy then I will be all for it. Paying taxes are a hated part of being an American and should not be something to dread. I wouldn't mind the government sending out a tax bill (or refund) and then electing to file my own taxes if I think the amount quoted is incorrect. The so-called opt-out tax filing plan.

I mean the IRS gets my stock sales already so what keeps them from figuring out my cost basis for me and allowing me to correct any errors? Even a separate capital gains tax bill sent out once a year that I can pay in installments would be a perfect deal for me. In any case if Obama reforms the tax process then I will dub his Presidency a success.

No comments: