Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Very interesting article on why DVDs aren't selling

I agree with quite a few of the points raised in this article. This is the one I think is the most important:

For a new release such as Fox's Robots, which comes out as a two-disk set on Sept. 27, prepare to pay $29.98. Overall, The DVD Release Report's numbers show that the retail price for DVDs of new movies has been creeping up steadily for the last five years.

Yup, unless you really want to own the movie to watch it over and over it really isn't worth plunking down $29.98 on that movie. I recently joined Netflix and for $14.99 I can rent two movies at a time. This is less then the price of one DVD. So now I am only renting the movies that I want to see but I don't want cluttering up my apartment. I may never need to buy a DVD again.


No comments: