Friday, August 30, 2013

RadioShack’s Revival Plan Sounds Pretty Dumb

Well I still won't be tempted to go there but I just have to say that this idea won't have me rushing back.

Magnacca’s solution is “Let’s Play!” a business plan designed to make the retailer “a neighborhood technology playground.” Prototype stores have a cleaner look, a change from the tangled collection of cables, cords, adapters, and batteries that most customers associate with RadioShack. Shoppers can connect their iPhones to a wall of speakers for test drives, while sensors on the gear selected call up information on a screen above. Five such stores reimagined for upscale, high-traffic areas such as Manhattan’s Upper West Side are already open; 15 more are scheduled to open by the holiday shopping season. The company plans another 2,000 less-slick store redos (without speaker walls and interactive features), starting in the New York area, New Jersey, and Texas.

Why would you test drive your IPhone with some speakers and have some sensors call up information on some screen? It doesn't seem like something that I need to rush out and do. I guess it would be nice if you are in the market for an IPhone speaker but the idea of connecting my phone to some communal outlet just makes me leery. 

No comments: