Monday, March 10, 2008

Cable Companies Provide Ad Clearinghouse

It seems like a pretty interesting idea and I cautiously applaud it.
It's easy to envision a future where STBs are fully addressable and custom
ads are served up based on what channels you watch at home. This could easily
get more sophisticated, selling different ads during times or days when a
household tends to watch "female" TV shows and times when "male" shows are tuned in. Will consumers welcome more relevant ads as a benefit?

I actually don't mind seeing ads on channels like G4 or Spike about video games or action movies. If I have to see an ad I don't mind seeing it for an item that I would actually be willing to buy. Hopefully, this same fine tuned control will make it so I don't have to see the same stupid Direct TV ad over and over during a sporting event.

No comments: