Monday, February 23, 2009

The Chicago Tea Party: A Protest Idea

It seems that Rick Santelli may have started a movement with his remarks earlier in the week.

Seattle on Monday. Denver on Tuesday. Mesa AZ on Wednesday. Overland Park, Kansas today. What a week, huh? We got the anti-stimulus, anti-entitlement protest ball rolling — and now the movement, spurred further by CNBC host Rick Santelli’s call for a “Chicago Tea Party,” is really taking off.

I wonder what they could dump though? The tea dumped in Boston Harbor was a symbol of no-taxation without representation over King George. Maybe they could take their $13 per paycheck of stimulus in pennies and dump it into big jars. The sound of pennies clinking into jars should be the soundtrack of the movement.

Then they can send the jars back to Washington with a note saying "I'm returning the $13 worth of stimulus money you gave me. Now give my kids back their $780 billion!" I was thinking of mailing my $13 to Dan Inouye office with that same note as a protest to see if I got anything back. I would probably get back a note saying "thank you for your campaign contribution. Dan will be sure to spend it on some pork sandwiches or maybe a pork-pie hat."

No comments: