Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Fox and Friends Blast Free Community College Tuition: Um, It's a Good Idea Shut Up

One of the few things I took out of the State of the Union speech that resonated with me is the idea that the government will foot the bill for community college. That sounds like a good use of my tax dollars. It seems that Fox and Friends doesn't agree.
While others have critiqued the president's plan for potentially high costs to states and unlikelihood of increasing the graduation rate, "Fox & Friends" co-host Steve Doocy had a slightly different complaint.

"Here's the thing that really bothers me about this," Doocy said Wednesday morning. "I made my final two college tuition payments about two weeks ago!"

And according to co-host Brian Kilmeade, this whole free college thing is just pointless anyway. I mean, it's not that hard to just pay for it. Right?

"If you want to go to college, you can get a part-time job and make that tuition payment even without a loan, which available to you, and even without grants," he said.
Okay, Steve Doocy is 58 so I guess his comment was hyperbole. However, if it is so cheap that you can pay off community college with a part-time job we might as well let the government pay for it. It won't be a huge expenditure because Tennessee seems to be doing quite well with it. They are a Red State after all.

Also with the public schools so poor quality maybe a few years of community college might be able to at least get people to a baseline skill level. I wouldn't mind my tax dollars go to something like that. I am tired of the knee-jerk conservative line to everything is "too expensive!" or whatever. Lets price it out and see where we can cut to make it happen. This is the kind of thing that will be a quick boost for the middle class so we need to see hard numbers on it.

No comments: