Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Does Obama Want to Be President?

Now this is one interesting question that Roger Simon poses.

I am not being metaphorical here — I am quite serious. The more I have thought about this, the more I am convinced Barack Obama no longer wishes to be president. The degree that he admits this to himself, I am not sure. But I rather suspect that in the small hours of the morning he fantasizes he were anywhere but 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. And who could blame him? By almost any measure, he is doing a terrible job.

The more I think of the line "indecision masquerading as coolness" I think of the Obama White House. They are said to be weighing the issues and looking for the best plan but end up running after the story trying to get ahead of it. I have to agree with this statement as well:

The media claque that put him in office is getting disaffected and now his party allies in Congress are beginning to disregard him, sometimes for the better. One of the early symbols of Obama’s disconnection was his remarkably unemotional reaction to the democracy demonstrators in Iran. His Iran policy continued to be a phony concoction of non-existent dialogue and toothless sanctions, right up to the latest round at the UN.

I have to point to this as the first chink in the armor. You would have lost nothing if you sided with the democracy demonstrators from the very beginning. Instead he hemmed and hawed and lost his opportunity to take care of the Iranian nuclear question forever.

If the Iranian government fell you would have been negotiating with a fellow democratically elected leader and if they brutally repressed the demonstrators you could have had proof that they are an illegitimate regime. They cannot trust a government that slaughters their college kids in the street.

Almost any other President would have quite easily sided with the protesters and helped them to differing degrees. Truman would have recognized them while JFK would have had CIA assets assisting a government overthrow. Instead Obama just sat there and mouthed some mealy mouthed crap. It was almost like he was annoyed that these demonstrators were getting in the way of his "talks with Iran without preconditions" pledge.

The more I think about it the more I agree that he will not run for a 2nd term and might even resign after the Dems get trounced in November.

No comments: