Friday, November 01, 2013

Send in the Cheap-assed Tablets: 7" Tablet for $100?

It seems we will be getting an avalanche of really cheap tablets just in time for Christmas.

Tablets priced at $79 from Asian manufacturers such as Kobii, Ematic, and Le Pan have been on sale for more than a year, but sales have been slow. More people will buy from a brand they recognize, says IDC’s Mainelli. Jeff Meredith, Lenovo vice president for marketing, says that by Christmas his company will be selling a tablet with a 7-inch screen for less than $100. “This market is about to emerge from Apple’s reality-distortion field,” says Stephen Dukker, the former chief executive officer of 1990s cheap-PC bellwether eMachines. His new company, Ooio, plans to introduce a 4G-equipped 7-inch model in January for $139, roughly $100 cheaper than most 4G models.

Yeah I can't wait to get my hands on a Kobii, Ematic, or a Le Pan. I will probably end up buying a Nexus 7" because I want a pure Google experience on a tablet. Hopefully, the price will come down below $200 to entice my to buy it before Christmas. I'm not in a rush so I don't mind waiting until price drops are coming.

No comments: