Thursday, May 09, 2013

Players Flee World of Warcraft; 1.3 Million in Three Months

Well, I think this might be the death-knell of the pay per month model because it is only downhill from here.

According to the company, most of those departures were players in the East, though a significant number of Western players left as well. All told, the game now has about 8.3 million paying customers -- down from 9.6 million in February -- and Activision CEO Bobby Kotick admits that number is bound to drop even further.

I could not get behind paying $19.99 (or whatever it is now) a month just to play a game. I don't mind micro-transactions for cool gear but I would end up hounded by that monthly fee month after month. Oh well, I would be willing to bet that World of Warcraft will eventually go the way of Everquest and Guitar Hero played by a few die-hards but a shadow of its former self.

No comments: