Monday, August 30, 2010

Location Based Sharing is Not as Popular As You Might Think

I guess people just don't want to hang a rob my house sign up every time they go on Foursquare or Facebook Places.

It seems like everyone's doing location these days in one form or another, but popular services like Foursquare or Facebook Places aren't just about using your location to find a good place to eat nearby. They're about sharing your location. The New York Times reports that despite all the attention these location sharing services are, most people still don't use them:

I guess this to me is the same thing as watching TV on your phone. An interesting technology that I wouldn't use in 100 years. The idea of sharing with potentially 100s of people your exact whereabouts is just too 1984 for my tastes.

I was watching a GPS sharing commercial for a cell phone that had these people dressed up as big dots and showing their location on some sort of tracking app. What reason would a non-CIA agent want to use such a thing? If I wanted to know where my friends are I would just ask them instead of tracking them like KGB assets. That is pretty much why I have ignored all of the location apps out there and will continue to ignore them in the future.

No comments: