Wednesday, February 01, 2006

EU solidarity on Mohammed Bomb-Head Flap

The French and the Germans jump in to support Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten . I guess I agree with their central thesis that a democratic society can pretty much make fun of anyone's religion. It was just the meanspirited way that they did it that I didn't like. It just implies that Mohammed is a homicide bomber that I don't like and apparently the Muslim world thinks the same as I do:

Angered by the drawings, masked Palestinian gunmen briefly took over a
European office in Gaza on Monday. Syria called for the offenders to be punished. Danish goods were swept from shelves in many countries, and Saudi Arabia and Libya recalled their ambassadors to Denmark.


I thought we were trying to seperate Islam from the Extremists. By putting a bomb on Mohammed's head you simply fuel the anti-Western fires. If this happened in the US we would see some serious backlash including firing and resignations. In the EU they have solidarity.

No comments: