Tuesday, August 26, 2014

#TheWorstPerson: Floridian Doug Wilkey Tried to have a Kids Lemonaide Stand Shut Down

Now this is terrible for a grown man, one Doug Wilkey to try to shut this kid, T.J. Guerrero’s, stand down.

Guerrero’s Dunedin, Florida, stand, though, is not just your typical after-school activity. It has become a rallying point for community members after Guerrero’s 61-year-old neighbor tried to have the stand shut down.

It has become a rallying point for community members after Guerrero’s 61-year-old neighbor tried to have the stand shut down.

“When will this illegal nonsense ... stop?” Doug Wilkey wrote in reference to the lemonade stand in an email complaint to city officials on June 11 that was obtained by ABC News. “This is the value of the home that I have owned for 32 years getting ravaged! This is costing me thousands of dollars in home value & my taxes should be reduced accordingly!”

According to Guerrero’s mother’s partner, Wilkey never directly complained to Guerrero or his family.

However it is good that the community rallied around this kid:

Community members have rallied behind Guerrero, buying drinks in droves. Local radio station 102.5 heard the story and worked with Guerrero Monday at his stand, raising more than $1,000 for Guerrero. The mayor even stopped by.

“I think it is a great show of entrepreneurship. This 12-year-old is setting a great example,” Dunedin Mayor Dave Eggers told ABC Action News. “I don’t know what the other neighbor’s problem is, but I would like to talk to him to try to figure it out.”

Guerrero has no plans to stop selling treats to locals.

“I know my one neighbor does not support this,” he said. “But it makes me want to work even harder. I just can't believe all these people care. It makes me feel so wonderful.”

I guess running afoul of your asshole neighbors is good for business.

No comments: