Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Radio Shack Circles the Drain: Doesn't Matter to Me

It seems Radio Shack is going the way of Blockbuster as technology makes the store obsolete.

Much of what RadioShack used to stand for, the little esoteric electronics stuff you couldn't get anywhere else, can be (and should be) bought online. The economics of that stuff, as Radio Shack's increasingly death-spiral performance shows, simply doesn't pay. And they don't carry the stuff many of us want. And the sales help -- and this is a big generalization and no disrespect to the many hard working Radio Shack employees -- is hit-and-miss, at best.


I remember Radio Shack was the big bully in the 80s and now they are slowly dying. When Greenberg talks about the Radio Shack employees being poor I would have to agree with him. I remember back in the day when I was a little kid their employees shooing me away from their computers. I wasn't going to hammer the keys or have sticky fingers touching the mouse. I just wanted to interact with the technology that their were selling. The whole ordeal ended up making me against Radio Shack

In fact the only thing I had bought since then was a car charger for my phone when it was nearly dead. I probably could have bought it from Amazon but I needed it that day and Radio Shack was closer than Best Buy. I have never went back since and this was the early 2000s.

It just boils down to tech can be bought cheaper and more conveniently from Amazon. Best Buy is used as Amazon's showroom for tech and can be kept afloat by selling appliances. You still can't drop ship a refrigerator for anything close to a cheap price. But Radio Shack is just an anachronism from an earlier time and needs to go the way of Blockbuster.

No comments: