Friday, January 03, 2014

Hewlett-Packard Looks Crappy Again: Lays off 34,000 people 5,000 more than they planned

This company is going directly down the toilet.

Probably Whitman has discovered her largest single problem has worsened. Personal System sales dropped 10.2% last year as measured by net revenue. So, the company described trouble that has plagued HP for two years. PC buyers have shifted preferences from traditional desktops and laptops to tablets. HP does not have a tablet that sells well. But the trouble goes beyond the trends of the past. Recent research shows the shift to tablets has accelerated and has been joined by the use of smartphones as “PC replacements.” Whitman has run out of time in her plan to “reinvent” HP’s PC business, and trends have swept HP’s prospects away.

They just make two things that no one wants anymore. People don't want a new personal computer (especially with Windows 8 on it) and no one has needed a printer for like 5 years now. The only thing I have printed in the last few years has been my tax returns. Last year I didn't even do that and instead just saved the PDF of the return after I E-Filed it.

However, I might buy a new PC eventually because mine is like 10 years old and I wouldn't mind getting a new one. I would be buying it to play computer games though but I might just go ahead and skip it and buy an Xbox One or a PS4 instead. There doesn't seem to be the kind of computer games out there that are worth having a new computer in order to play.

No comments: