Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pentagon Creates Drone Warfare Medal

I guess this is going to be similar to an achievement unlock in Call of Duty.

The new blue, red and white-ribboned Distinguished Warfare Medal will be awarded to individuals for "extraordinary achievement" related to a military operation that occurred after Sept. 11, 2001. But unlike other combat medals, it does not require the recipient risk his or her life to get it.

I know there should be a way to reward drone pilots who kill insurgents or provide close air support but a medal similar to the bronze star doesn't seem to be the way. Maybe a drone pin or something would have been more appropriate. 

Also the first thing I thought of when I read about this was "I wonder if you get a special cluster whenever you extra-judiciously kill an American Citizen?" Maybe you get a little Obama "O" symbol added to the blue, red and white medal.

No comments: