Thursday, December 06, 2012

MIT professor Philip Greenspun Hates Windows 8 and I Agree

Oh Windows 8 is such a piece of crap you don't even know. It seems that this famous computer scientist from MIT seems to agree with me.

“The only device that I can remember being as confused by is the BlackBerry PlayBook,” Greenspun wrote on his blog after using Windows 8 on a Dell (DELL) XPS One All-in-One desktop PC. The acclaimed computer scientist noted that Microsoft omitted all of the best features from the most popular touch-focused platforms and instead created a user interface he describes as a “dog’s breakfast.”

Imagine using that awful experience on a regular PC without a touch interface and then removing the Start button for no good reason. I had to work around that by creating icons of things like Control Panel and Office 2010 apps like Outlook and Excel directly from the Programs Files directory. I couldn't figure out any other way of getting to my Outlook easily. I guess I could fiddle with the worthless and ugly Metro interface but the less I saw of that the better. In any case if an MIT professor has trouble using Windows 8 then I would hate to be a person that learned Windows by using XP and then tried to use 8.


No comments: