Friday, October 03, 2014

North Carolina College Republican Chairwoman Leigh Thomas Needs to Resign After Trying to Stopping Voter Registration

What is funny is that she seems to have tried to stop a conservative voter registration drive. In fact this group has much of the same values as I have regarding fiscal responsibility, free markets and a brighter future for America. I would probably be a member if they had them around when I was in college. In any case this is what Leigh Thomas said.

North Carolina College Republican Chairwoman was caught on camera allegedly suppressing the voter registration efforts of a non-profit, conservative student group Wednesday afternoon.

The video, obtained by Campus Reform, captures the interaction between Turning Point USA representative Bree Binder and the Chairwoman of the High Point University College Republicans, Leigh Thomas.

Binder asks Thomas for permission to enter the private liberal arts campus in North Carolina, to conduct a routine voter registration drive.

“We’re just registering people to vote,” Binder says. “I can show you all the forms and everything.”
"I understand the registration process,” the College Republican Chairwoman responded, “I'm just not sure if this is something I would want to have on this High Point University campus, the registration of voting [sic]."

When asked why, Thomas clarified that she does not approve of registering students to vote on campus.
“I don’t want to have any voting registration happening on this campus with students,” Thomas says.

“[T]he registering students, it’s just...if it’s not done the way that we did it back in 2012, I’m not—I’m not good with it,” Thomas says.

“I understand the forms, I’ve seen the forms before, it’s not about that. I just do not want to have people being registered to vote whatsoever,” Thomas tells Binder.

Now that last part that I put in bold is something that should get her canned. She might have misspoke here but registering people to vote is the lifesblood of Democracy. In fact I believe that all Americans should be allowed to vote simply by filing a tax return. If you give your hard-earned money to this country you should be able to vote automatically. You paid the bill so you should be allowed to vote on who divvies up the money. 

No comments: