Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Picky Eating Might be a New Mental Disorder?

Now this is an interesting new finding.

Like kids, adult picky eaters limit themselves to an extremely narrow range of foods. Unlike those who suffer from anorexia nervosa or bulimia, adult picky eaters are seemingly not worried about calorie counts or body image. But so far, researchers don’t know if adult picky eaters just haven’t outgrown childhood patterns or if their eating habits are a new twist on obsessive compulsive disorder. Some may be “supertasters,” with an abnormally acute sense of taste that turns them off certain foods. Many appear to have had unpleasant childhood associations with food.

When I was in high school I was an extremely picky eater. I didn't like melted cheese, raw fish, certain candies, and a whole lot of different things. Then when I went to college I ate more and more stuff and after graduation I try almost everything. Hell, I even ate crab roe in Hokkaido without missing a beat. I think the idea of limiting yourself to only certain foods if you aren't dieting is foolhardy. I mean you never know what new thing there is out there without trying it.

No comments: